B R I C S
The British Indian Association of Colorectal Surgeons (BRICS) is a registered charity founded in 2016 with members in the UK and overseas. We aim to support colleagues and promote Colorectal Surgery in the UK through education, research coaching, and mentoring. We also endeavor to foster long-term relationships with our colleagues overseas and support and guide overseas doctors wishing to pursue a surgical career in the UK.
The first Annual Meeting of the BRICS was held on the 9th of March 2017 in Birmingham. Since then, BRICS has grown to over 100 members in the UK and many affiliates overseas. The growth of the association reflects the importance of peer support available to its members through this platform.
BRICS is a platform nurtured by Colorectal surgeons but we aim to be inclusive and invite other specialties supporting Colorectal Surgeons comprising Gastroenterologists, oncologists, GI pathologists, GI radiologists, and specialist nurses, and patient representatives for colorectal diseases.
The association is an excellent platform to reach out for support, mentorship, and guidance. We aim to launch support pathways for our international medical graduates to help them understand the NHS and provide support and guidance in career progression.
Who we are
Aims and Objectives
The primary aim of BRICS is to support, improve and maintain the standard of care for Colorectal surgical practice in the UK.
- To support and mentor colleagues in Colorectal Surgical Practice throughout the UK.
- To represent Surgeons of Indian Origin at various national and International platforms.
- To promote the advancement of study, practice, and research in Colorectal Surgery
- To liaise with the Surgical and other Royal Colleges Professions and other relevant Professional and governmental bodies.
- To foster and improve professional relations with Colorectal Surgeons Overseas.
- To maintain prudent management of the resources of BRICS as a registered UK Charity in line with the requirements of the Charity Commission.
How to become a member?
Before starting the application process, as well as payment details, you will need the following details to hand:
UK Consultants and Trainees
Name and email address of a Consultant Surgeon who is a current member of BRICS in good standing, who is personally known to you and will support your application.
Date of expected completion of Surgery training (e.g. CCT date) if you are a trainee surgeon.
International Doctors and UK Medical Students
If you do not have a BRICS Consultant member to be your proposer you will need to upload your CV.
UK students need to also upload proof of student status.
Management of Resources
- Membership subscriptions
- Possible surplus from the annual International Scientific Meeting
- Alternative funding sources (donations, legacies & industry)
The Executive Committee will oversee the finance including budget approval and monitoring financial performance.
Capital reserves and investment policy
- Funds will be set aside by the organization to support long-term financial stability, future growth, or specific capital projects and acquiring Financial assets for the purpose of generating income or capital appreciation.